Saturday, April 16, 2011

pdftk - Awesome Tool for Working with PDF Files

PDFTK

I happened upon pdftk a few months back when searching for an open source tool for working with PDF files on Ubuntu 10.04.  pdftk is a command line tool that runs on many Linux variants, Mac OS, and Windows.  Although not a full fledged PDF editor, pdftk is a great tool for manipulating existing PDF documents via the command line.

 The main activities I've used pdftk for:
  • merging multiple PDF documents
  • splitting a PDF into multiple documents
  • adding pages to a PDF
  • rotating pages within a PDF
pdftk is very easy to use, and a quick glance at the examples is all it takes to get going.

PDF Import Extension for Open Office

The PDF import extension for Open Office has worked well in certain situations, however it does not do well with tables and a lot of custom formatting.  However, for editing and republishing PDFs with basic formatting, it works like a champ.

Open Office extensions are very easy to install via the Extension Manager.  However, here is a guide if this is your first time using Open Office extensions.
pdfedit

pdfedit is another option that I've seen referenced numerous times.  I've played with it only a little.  It looks to me like a rather technical tool for someone who has taken the time to really figure out their way around the internal structure of a PDF.  I'm sure pdfedit has it's advantages.  I'll post more once I've had a chance to really evaluate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment